It is not just commercial building which can be made energy efficient; even homes and residences, irrespective of whether they are old or new, can adopt means and contribute in the conservation of energy. A little saving goes a long way especially for the power and electrical sector which, till date is still heavily dependent on non-renewable raw materials for its generation and the use of renewable sources for economically viable power generation is still in its nascent stage.
Thus conservation of energy needs to be effected even for residential homes and buildings and can be easily done by adopting the following means:
This is a one of the best ways in which energy can be conserved and effectively used. An energy audit professional is one who:
- Is professionally trained in this field,
- Has the necessary equipments required for assessment,
- Comes with a wealth of knowledge with regards to practice methods of saving energy and
- Helps plan effective energy saving solutions for every nook and corner of a residence.
Thus employing the services of a professional trained in energy might seem frivolous but the resultant savings in the utility bills is ample proof of the effectiveness of this solution.
Installing a water softener:
Water using appliances are some of the most essential electrical gadgets present in homes. These gadgets are used several times in a day and hence are more prone to the build-up of scale resulting from the use of hard water. This effectively reduces its efficiency thereby making it consume much more energy than is required. The installation of a water softener helps reduce the build-up of scales by around 99% thereby making the gadgets work efficiently and effectively without bringing about a huge rise in the consumption of electricity.
This becomes a very important point for homes and residences built in places which undergo huge differences of both diurnal and seasonal temperatures. Hence people living in places with extreme climate should definitely insulate their homes so that effective natural means can be employed to:
- Keep the house warm in winters without having to run the heater and the humidifier for long periods of time and
- Keep out the heat during the summer months thereby making the house cooler and doing away with the need to use the air-conditioner for long periods of time.
Employing this method is also environmentally useful as these gadgets tend to emit heat and gases which is detrimental for the earth’s environment and tends to eat away at the protective ozone layer.
Weather strips and sealants:
While insulating the home makes the wider area energy efficient, the installation of weather strips and sealants does on a smaller scale. Doors and window of rooms can be effective sealed using this solution so as to reduce the use of air-conditioners and room heaters. This solution for keeping the hot air sealed into the room and preventing the cold air from entering the room in winters and vice versa, is an inexpensive yet very effective solution for conservation of energy which can be proactively done even without undergoing an energy audit.
Use of renewable sources of energy:
Wind and sun are two very important renewable source of energy that can be easily utilised to generate electricity in rural, semi-rural and urban areas. While windmills are effectively used in villages to successfully generate energy for meeting the daily farm requirements, the installation of solar panels helps generate electricity and also bring down the electricity bill.
Other common energy savers:
Small things when proactively done ensure small savings of electricity which at the end of the month adds up to a considerable amount thereby reducing utility bills like:
- Use of fluorescent bulbs: The have an initial cost which can seem high but the fact that these bulbs have much longer life and consume very little energy tends to negate the effect of the same.
- Smart thermostats: These are programmable and thus have the ability to react to situations like the presence and absence of people.
- Tank-less water heater: They last longer, are 24 – 34% more energy efficient and almost facilitate a never-ending flow of hot water.
- Ceiling fans: They help conserve energy by reducing the use of air conditioners and also promote good health.
- Appliances with energy star: Appliances which come with energy star ratings help utilize electricity in a much more effective manner and should thus be adopted.
Being proactive can save a homeowner a lot of money along with enabling them to do their bit for the environment. Thus ways and means for the effective use of power should be adopted and implemented and energy saving effected.